Fort Ricasoli occupies the promontory known as Gallows Point in the limits of Kalkara. Standing on the outer side of the Grand Harbour, this promontory received this macabre name following its use for the sentencing of the slaves who took part in the rebellion of 1531.
The earliest fortification on this promontory dates to 1629. A lofty tower and adjoining semicircular battery had been built with the intent of limiting the escape of slaves. Officially named as San Patronio Tower and Battery, this work was popularly known as Orsi’s due to the generous sponsorship of Alessandro Orsi. Notwithstanding the construction of this work, Gallows Point proved to be a weak link in the defence of Valletta, and the Order’s administration considered actively the plan of crafting an extensive fortification at the earliest opportunity. This need became evermore pressing following the Ottoman seizure of the Cretan city of Candia in 1669. All indications pointed to Malta as the next target of the Ottoman expansionistic plan.
The Order lost no time in bringing over the Italian military engineer Maurizio Antonio Valperga to access the then fortification assemblage in the Grand Harbour and to see how best to reinforce it. His plan featured three main components, namely (1) a fortress at Gallows Point, (2) the shielding of the Margarita Lines with a new bastioned enceinte, and (3) the stiffening of the Floriana Lines. The ball was set rolling without delay, but its implementation necessitated huge financial resources. Indeed, the Order would not have been in a position to construct Fort Ricasoli had it not been for Giovanni Francesco Ricasoli’s donation of 20,000 scudi. The construction of an enceinte along the peninsula’s perimeter came to a close in 1698.
The land front cuts across the peninsula’s neck. It comprises a crowned bastioned enceinte, namely a central bastion, a demi-bastion at either end, and curtains in the resultant gaps. These works are reinforced by a fausse braye (an abutting low-lying terrace running the whole length of their trajectory), and two ravelins (shielding respective curtain walls). The ditch and the glacis further secure the approach from the hinterland.
The enceinte along the outer flank is reinforced by four bastions. Conversely, the opposite or harbour-side perimeter is far less intimidating to avoid its potential use as a vantage point for the besieging of the other fortifications in the eventuality of its takeover by the enemy. By the early 18th-century, Fort Ricasoli had been armed by over 80 artillery pieces, but the French engineers who carried out an inspection in 1715 were not convinced of its capability to withstand a major assault. To this effect, an additional battery at the seaside extremity of the land front was deemed opportune. Nonetheless, the funds for the implementation of this plan were only sourced during the late 1780s.
Evidently enough, the highly exposed nature of the site presented significant maintenance challenges. Wave action and sea spray increased the erosion rate. A major restoration project was thereby carried out in 1752. Other significant damages were also inflicted during the 1807 forceful submission of the rebelling English regiment stationed therein. The unfolding of the 19th century, particularly the 1870s, witnessed further structural changes to the late 17th-century fabric in view of the accommodation of more powerful artillery pieces.
The turn of the 20th century brought about more technological advancements and the artillery installations at Fort Ricasoli were repeatedly upgraded. Furthermore, the fort’s skyline was altered with the construction of searchlight emplacements. These played a determining role in the annihilation of the infamous eboat attack of July 1941. World War II scarred extensively the fort’s historic fabric, but the subsequent decades were even less kind. Apart from the complete absence of a serious maintenance programme, a good part of its land front had been transformed into a tank cleaning facility.
